What is Mercier Literacy for Children?
- The program utilizes only qualified NYS certified teachers who are certified to provide a lormal literacy program to Rochester elementary students.
- The program is evidenced-based utilizing accurate pre and post-assessments that are commonly known to most teachers.
- The pre-assessments drive instruction on an individual student basis. Each student’s progress is tracked.
- An additional incentive to participate includes a free book every week, healthy snacks and suggestions to help parents participate with their children.
- The program is implemented at various RCSD schools in collaboration with the respective principals.
- The program is delivered in collaboration with Dr. Naomi Erdmann, director of the Graduate Literacy Program at Nazareth College. This partnership provides the program access to the latest in research and teaching strategies and techniques. In addition, Nazareth graduate students conduct fieldwork to support and enhance the program.
- Children are taught in small groups. The program is nurturing, safe and provides a risk-free environment for students.
- The program builds a connection between home and school, bringing parents into classrooms and sending home new books and writing supplies.
- Students enjoy academic success as 100% of the students have improved on the majority of assessments given during the summer program.
Where We Teach
Mercier Literacy for Children is at work in schools in Rochester’s poorest neighborhoods.
- An after-school Language Arts program at Public School 9
- A free community school Saturday morning program during the school year
- A free community school-based summer program